|Главная » Файлы » English » Texts|
United States of America
The United States of America is situated in the southern half of North America. It occupies a favourable geographical position being washed by two oceans and having various climate zones.
Once the country was an English colony. In the War of Independence (1775 — 1783) it became independent.
The area of the USA is much larger than that of Western Europe. Today the USA covers an area of 9, 4 million square kilometer.
The USA is a federation of 50 states. The population of the country is 250 million people.
The biggest river in the United States is the Mississippi. The largest lakes are the Great Lakes, five in number. The highest mountain chains are the Appalachian Mountains in the East and Cordillera Mountains in the West.
On the whole the USA. has a continental climate. It is at the same time one of the hottest and one of the coldest countries; one of the wettest and one of the driest.
The US is a highly developed industrial and agricultural country.
The capital of the USA is the city of Washington situated In the District of Columbia. The population of Washington, D.C., is about 750 000 (1990) and together with the suburbs its population is about 3 million. Washington is like no other city of the USA. You know that the flag of the USA, the «stars and stripes» has 50 stars on a blue background. Each of these stars represents one of the fifty states. But the city of Washington is not in any of those states. It belongs to all of them. Washington is the seat of government of the nation. The White House, where the US President lives and works, the Capitol, the home of the US Congress, and the Supreme Court are all in Washington, D.C. New York is a center of finance, of shipping, of run; New Orleans deals in cotton; Chicago will sell you wheat and cattle.
The United States is a sports-loving nation. Baseball is the most popular sport in the United States. Football is the most popular sport in the fall. It is still played by almost every college and university in the country. There are professional football teams in all major cities of the United States. Basketball is the winter sport in American schools and colleges.
Assignments (United States of America)
Task 1. Give English for:
1) географическое положение
2) английская колония
3) война за независимость
4) стать независимым
5) федерация из 50 штатов
6) горная цепь
7) континентальный климат
8) высокоразвитая индустриальная страна
9) не быть похожим ни на один другой город
10) 50 звезд на голубом фоне
11) Белый Дом
13) Верховный Суд
14) нация, любящая спорт
Task 2. Answer the following questions:
1) Where is the United States of America situated?
2) What is the area and the population of the USA?
3) What are the biggest rivers and largest lakes of the United States? The highest mountain chains?
4) What can one say about the capital of the USA?
5) What are forms of sports in America?
6) Which kinds of sports are the most popular in America?
Task 3. Fill in the blanks with the forms of the verb to be:
1) The area of the USA … much larger than that of Western Europe.
2) The largest lakes … the Great Lakes, five in number.
3) The capital of the USA … the city of Washington.
4) Washington … like no other city of the USA.
5) There … professional football teams in all major cities of the United States.
Task 4. Finish the sentences based on the text:
1) Once the country …
2) It is at the same time …
3) The population of Washington, D.C., …
4) Each of these stars …
5) The White House …
6) New York is …
7) Basketball is …
Task 5. Insert the prepositions:
1) It occupies a favourable geographical position being washed … two oceans and having various climate zones.
2) In the War … Independence it became independent.
3) The USA is a federation … 50 states.
4) … the whole the USA has a continental climate.
5) Washington is the seat … government … the nation.
6) Football is the most popular sport … the fall.
7) It is still played … almost every college and university … the country.
|Просмотров: 13123 | Загрузок: 0 | Рейтинг: 0.0/0|
|Всего комментариев: 0|